What is migration? How is it different from updating?
In order to offer a better gaming experience, in 2018 we made several major changes to the way K.R. Engineering game systems operate. In order to update your older games, receive redelivery of an older game, or use the new mesh tables, you will need to migrate to the new system.
In brief, the changes we made are:
- Instead of standard prims, our game tables are now made of mesh. This offers several benefits, such as less land impact.
- Previously our game tables had no-copy/trans permissions, meaning that there was the possibility that residents could lose track of them. We also could not offer automated redelivery. Now our game systems have copy/no-trans permissions, and you can get redelivery at any time.
- Since the game tables now have copy permissions, the games themselves are referred to as licenses. Just like owning one prim game table meant you owned one copy of a game, now one license equals one game. With a single license, you can play that game on one game table at a time. If you have more than one license, you can play more than one game at a time. Click here to learn more about game licenses.
- Because of the changes to the license system, you can now play any game license you own on any game table you have rezzed. You do not need to rez out a separate table for each game.
- One of the drawbacks of mesh is that it cannot be programmed to change shape the way standard prims could. This means that each theme is now its own object. You no longer access themes through your table, but rez them out individually. Each themed game table can play any game license that you own.
By migrating, you are agreeing to switch over to this new system. Your old prim tables will be converted into mesh tables and licenses. Migration is free.
Sounds good! How do I migrate?
- Just head on over to the store.
- On the wall by the door, there are several buttons shaped like gears. Click the one that says “Migrate,” and then click on the link that it provides you. (This link is generated just for you, so you will have to go to the store to receive it.)
- This link will take you to a page that explains a bit more about the mesh and licensing system changes. Review that information, and then change the purple drop-down menus to indicate that you agree to the changes.
- Click the button on the bottom of the page once you are done.
- NOTE: Migration does not require you to sign in to G.SL, or any other website. A password is never required. If you click one of the gears and it takes you to a page that asks for a password, you clicked the wrong button.
Once you migrate, your old prim tables will self-destruct and no longer be usable. Your games will be converted into licenses (so if you had a Greedy Greedy table, you will now have a Greedy Greedy license). Your old prim games may not self-destruct immediately if they are rezzed at the time you migrate, but they will the next time they need to check in with our game servers.
After successfully migrating, you will receive the following:
- Packages containing three mesh game systems — Classic, Postmodern, and Pocket. If you had a Pocket version of a previous game, you will be able to play that game on the new mesh Pocket game system. Classic is the classic wooden table.
- If you own any additional themes, you will receive updated mesh versions if they are available. Please note that not all of our sculpty themes have been remade in mesh yet.
- If you own any additional themes, you will also receive a table called Legacy. This table will allow you to use all the sculpty themes you previously owned with our game licenses. It works the exact same way the old tables did, with the theme menu accessible through the tabletop.
- YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY PACKAGES OR FOLDERS NAMED AFTER THE GAMES YOU MIGRATED. For example, if you migrate a Greedy Greedy game, YOU WILL NOT receive an object named “Greedy Greedy.” Your games are now stored on our server, and you will use the tables to access them.
After you migrate, the redelivery button in-store will also begin to work. You can request an automatic redelivery of your themes at any time, including the Classic table.